Venue, Accommodation and Transport
Geelong, accommodation options and getting there and around …
GEELONG is the second largest city in Victoria, Australia, lying on the coast approximately 74 km south-west of Melbourne. It is also the gateway to the famous Great Ocean Road (mountains, forests, scenic beaches, diversity of wildlife including koalas) and Otways.
Download the apps on the right to help you get around Geelong and the Geelong and Bellarine areas to experience of of this special region of Victoria.
VENUES – Welcome Reception at Waterfront Kitchen right on the waterfront, Western Beach Road Geelong
The Conference is held at the Mercure Hotel in the Geelong CBD, Corner Gheringhap & Myers Street, Geelong 3220.
NOTE: the conference will occur during school holidays, we recommend you book NOW!
- Mercure Hotel is offering a 15% discount for delegates and speakers who book the Best Unrestricted Rate of the day if booked early – eg about $145 instead of $169 for a queen room.
- Check out the website for room options but please book directly through Reservations +61 3 5223 6200 or by email quoting NAT300915 to get the WTA discount.
- You can also get $18 discounted full breakfasts (instead of $26) if booked at same time as your accommodation.
- Note – the rooms are quite large so you may even want to share with a friend.
- Also note that there is a daily charge for internet so we recommend that guests at the hotel join the FREE Accor’s Le Club loyalty program when checking in, to receive unlimited wifi in your accommodation room.
- Online rates may be cheaper although there are restrictions to note. Accor Hotels or Wotif etc rates may be less – eg seen online at $130 for room with 2 queen beds
- Geelong Conference Centre is located about 45min walking distance – surrounded by the lovely Eastern Park [please note restrictions eg no alcohol] – WTA delegates special rate is $130 single/$150 shared room including full buffet breakfast. Please book online quoting WTA15 to obtain the discount.
- Other accommodation –
There is a full variety of accommodation in Geelong – from multi-star hotels on the nearby Geelong waterfront to budget hotels and camping a little further away – list of alternative accommodation with contact details. Some accommodation appears at bottom of this page. [There is a bus service around Geelong]. If you are a group of students looking for accommodation advice please contact us
How to get there –
Airports – The closest airport is Avalon Airport at Lara, but flights are restricted. Jetstar runs flights from Sydney to Avalon. The Avalon Shuttle Bus to Geelong meets every flight ($21 per person from door to door or about $34 return) and you can be dropped off and picked up from the Mercure if arranged. You can book your return or single trip when your flight arrives at their bookings counter in the arrivals lounge. [If t is best to pre-book on (03) 527 88 788]. There is also a train from Lara to Geelong [see note re myki below] and taxis are available.
Melbourne’s main airport is Tullamarine Airport Gull Airport Service provides a bus between Tullamarine airport and Geelong arriving at 45 McKillop Street [which is close to the Mercure] or Geelong Station – Bus Bay 6, $32 per adult one way $58 return]. Alternatively, you could take the Sky Bus from Tullamarine airport to Southern Cross Station (in Melbourne), and then take the train as outlined below, but this would be a longer journey.
Public Transport –
myki is the [so called] smart card necessary for travel on most public transport in Melbourne and Geelong including trains and buses … but not the main airport buses. There is a myki “Visitor Value Pack” which costs $14 and provides one day Melbourne city travel plus a few discounts at attractions. It would need to be topped up with more money to travel to Geelong. [A normal myki costs $6 ($3 concession) just for the card which needs to be topped up before you travel]. You need to touch on and touch off each trip to get the right fare and you need to maintain a balance on the card.
Train V/Line train takes about an hour and operates regularly between Southern Cross Station in Melbourne and Geelong station. [some trains then travel on to Warrnambool]. The Geelong station is just 15 mins walk from the conference venue – Mercure. See:
Car You can drive for about one hour from Melbourne to Geelong via the Westgate and Princes freeways. Return to main conference page
back to main conference page