The conference venue is the Mercure Geelong in the heart of the Geelong CBD with views of Corio Bay on corner of Gheringhap and Myers Streets.
The Mercure Function Centre is newly refurbished just in time for our conference so we are looking forward to seeing it completed.
[The Welcome Reception on the Tuesday evening is being held at the Waterfront Kitchen at Deakin University [on this map as Deakin University Cafeteria] If you have not yet rsvp’d or registered please do so NOW for catering].
Before you come –
- Have you notified us of any special dietary requirements? If not please let us know.
- If you have a favourite – please bring your own ….. pad, pen, travel mug, water bottle, etc
- Bring your old mobiles, batteries etc for the Zoos Victoria recycling program.
- Bring some cash – you just may want it for another drink on Tuesday evening, a special book, the batwalk on Thursday or when you see the Beads! [we do not have EFTPOS]
click on the Conference Program titles to view abstracts. Or download pdf of program and abstracts in case you need to bring a printed copy for your note-taking. [a printed copy will not be available at the conference] The program timing is subject to minor alterations.
- Presenters – please bring your presentation on a usb stick [with your name on it please].
When you arrive – #wildlifetourism2015
- Carparking for delegates is free – and the carpark is accessed to the right of the main hotel entrance in Gheringhap Street. [enter through the gates. Before you leave see Mercure Reception so exit gates can be opened for you].
- Entry to the Mercure Function Centre is through the hotel and past the pool or direct access to function centre from Myers Street.
- Registration – will open from around 8am on Wednesday [and about 8.30am on Thursday and Friday] so please check in, say hello and get your name badge at the registration desk.
- Delegate Bags – as a green conference we will be minimising waste so we will not be providing filled delegate bags. We will have bags available to those who need them temporarily or to keep and will provide a selection of useful maps and information to use, return or keep if needed.
- Mt Rothwell – if registered, please fill in the form straight away and offer transport if possible so we can organise.
- Bat walk – please fill in form and pay in cash at registration desk on Wednesday.
- Presenters please ask for Darren or Roger to deliver your usb stick presentation [with your name on it please].
- Tea, coffee and water will be available on arrival and during the day near the conference rooms.
- The conference sessions will be held in the Barwon and Kardinia Rooms in the Function Centre
While you are there –
- Morning and afternoon tea breaks and lunch, with opportunity for networking, will be in the Mercure Zenith Restaurant.
- Spend some time checking out the great 12 metre x 2 metre display in the restaurant – Volcano Dreaming about the threatened grasslands of the Victorian Volcanic Plain.
- Social Media .… Follow along on social media and upload your comments.
- Free wifi internet is available to delegates during the conference in the function rooms [plus 1/2 hr free per 24 hrs in the hotel foyer ]. Please note it may be limited during our Skype presentations.
- Program – will display on the screen, on the website and on the e-book of abstracts. Posters in the foyer and last minute changes will be added to these posters wherever possible.
- Mt Rothwell Wednesday evening – Meet at the registration desk promptly after skype presentation on Wednesday
- Bat walk on Thursday – Meet in the foyer of the function centre at the Myers Street door to walk to the park
- The Wildlife Tourism Australia AGM on Friday morning will be held in the Terrace Room near the Restaurant.
- If you have any queries during the conference please contact Mercure Hotel Reception on 5223 6200 or try Caz Bartholomew at registration desk or on 0418 125 836.
- above all else …. Enjoy!
When you leave –
- Please fill in our review survey so we can plan and improve our next conference//workshop.
- We hope you see more of Victoria!
Let’s all share, learn and have a wonderful conference!
Mercure Geelong - Conference Venue
All conference participants please complete this simple online survey so we can review and plan for future events. Please include any comments at all and you only need to include your name if you wish us to contact you.
Back to main conference page
See Google map at bottom of page
Mercure Geelong is –
- about 15 mins walk to Geelong Railway station
- 5 mins walk to airport shuttle bus 45 McKillop St.
- Avalon airport shuttle can pickup /drop off at hotel
- 20 mins to the Geelong Waterfront & Eastern Beach
- 10 mins walk to main shopping centres, restaurants and more.
- about 30 mins walk along the waterfront to Eastern Park (home to several species of bats so an ideal evening stroll) and the Geelong Botanical Gardens.
- More about transport, accommodation & getting around
Some local info –
- Download the free iPhone or Google Play app for Central Geelong
- Maps – see registration desk
- Restaurants nearby for night time meals? Mercure’s Zenith Restaurant is open – last orders about 9pm or variety at the Waterfront – so check the app.
- Bar at Mercure is open from 5pm.
- Google bicycle map – shows much of Greater Geelong’s network of bike lanes.
- Taxis – if you NEED one – book online Geelong taxi or call 131 008. Hotel Reception can help. Taxi ranks [taxis are yellow] are located on the eastern side of Moorabool Street, between Malop Street and Little Malop Street.
- Internet Wifi – see note on left. Free for delegates in function rooms – please ask at registration desk for code to use.
- Toilets are near bar in the foyer of Function Centre and others in hotel reception area near reception desk.
- Photocopies or printing – Ask Hotel reception [30c for b/w or $1 colour] or walk to Officeworks, 150 Malop Street – past the shopping centres and Yarra Street 12 mins walk. Open 7am to 9pm
- Post office for stamps or post letter – in Market Square shopping centre cnr Malop and Moorabool Street – 10 mins
- Tours on the weekend?
- Hire car for weekend or more – there is a choice but Mercure can help with Europcar 5229 8118, bus or 5-10min tax to 48 Mercer Street. Others in Mercer Street too.
- Weather prediction for the next 7 days
- Clothing for field trips etc – warm clothing for the evenings. Wear layers in Melbourne as our Spring weather is changeable.
- Luggage – a safe place to store on last day – Ask hotel reception as they have room available.
Bank or moneychange to change some overseas money? also 10 mins walk –
- Travel Money Oz, Shop 1191, Westfield Shopping Centre, 77 Malop St, Geelong VIC
- Travelex in Malop Street near Westfield Shopping Centre.
Medical – ask at hotel reception and/or –
- Pharmacy is 6 mins walk right along Myers Street past Moorabool and Yarra Streets.
- Doctors – Myers Family Medical Centre, 148 Myers Street [near chemist/pharmacy] open 8am to midnight phone 5229 5192.
- Emergency call 000 – Hospital emergency entrance is Geelong Hospital, 272-322 Ryrie Street.
Where to eat? Where to go? What to do? in Geelong & Bellarine area