Jobs in Wildlife Tourism
Welcome to our jobs page
- Use this page to advertise relevant vacancies – either add a comment or let us know via the Contact Us page.
- Please visit the job-seekers page. to see details of motivated prospective employees seeking employment or work experience
- Use our job-seekers page to let prospective employers and hosts know about your interested, availability and background experience
- Show your prospective employer you understand the basics of responsible wildlife tourism by reading the links from wildlifetourism.org.au/experiencing-our-wildlife/policies/
- If interested in volunteering for wildlife research (which may or may not involve paying for your involvement), check out our wildlife tourism research network
- To view WTA member operations to see which you might be interested in asking about vacancies, go to our Wildlife Tours, Parks, Accommodation page
* * * *
Scrolling down this page you will find
- links to other pages that advertise relevant vacancies
- samples of currently available vacancies in wildlife tourism, ecotourism, wildlife conservation and related fields
- courses in wildlife and tourism related fields.
Select from the quick links below:
New South Wales
Various Job Sites
Courses and Training
The email newsletter Wildlife Extra regularly lists wildlife vacancies. Contact them at Wildlife Extra <email@example.com>
WILDLIFE JOB SEARCH: www.pherkad.com/jobs.html
This is a great search engine with regular eco tourism jobs: Ecotourism jobs
NEW Digital Sales & Marketing Manager. Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.
NEW Conservation Partnerships Officer. Sunshine Coast Council. Closes 10.12.13
NEW Tourism Visitor Information Centre Officer. Part Time. Hervey Bay. Closes 13.12.13
Customer Service Attendant. Australia Zoo. Closes 15.12.13
Conservation Partnerships Officer – Nambour. Sunshine Coast Council. Closes 10.12.13
Manager. Takura National Property. accommodation is provided. Closes 18.12.13
Translators from English for website, and Video Editing. Volunteer work. Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENT AND RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
Job Centre: www.jobs.qld.gov.au
NEW Management Committee Member. Wilderness Society. Closes 23.12.13
NEW Retail Trainee. Symbio Wildlife Park. Woollongong.
Direct Marketing Manager. Taronga Zoo, Sydney. Closes 13.12.13
Conservation Officer. Nature Conservation Trust, based at Lismore Closes 5.12.13
OFFICE OF ENVIRONMENT AND HERITAGE
Jobs Centre jobs.nsw.gov.au
NEW Community Conservation Officer. Zoos Victoria. Closes 16.12.13
NEW CEO with Yarra Ranges Tourism. Closes 17.12.13
Tour Guide/Driver for Wildlife Tours Australia.
DEPARTMENT OF SUSTAINABILITY AND ENVIRONMENT
Job Centre: www.careers.vic.gov.au
Current vacancies at Zoos in Victoria – see www.peoplestreme.net/zoosvictoria
NEW Ranger Wildlife Operations. Dpt Primary Ind. Launceston Closes 6.12.13
NEW CEO. East Coast Regional Tourism Organisation. Closes 13.12.13
DEPARTMENT OF PRIMARY INDUSTRIES, PARKS, WATER AND ENVIRONMENT
Guide at Southern Ocean Lodge – Kangaroo Island, SA. Applications close when a suitable applicant is found
DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENT AND NATURAL RESOURCES
Volunteering Opportunities: www.environment.sa.gov.au/Work_With_Us/Volunteering_opportunities
NEW Senior Ranger. Serpentine National Park. Closes 30.12.13
DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENT AND CONSERVATION
NEW Scientist Terriestrial Fauna. Dept Land Resource Management, Darwin. Closes 15.12.13
Tourism Business Development Officer. NT Dept Business. Katherine.
Tour Guide - Casual. Peak Adventure Travel, Alice Springs.
NATURAL RESOURCES, ENVIRONMENT, THE ARTS AND SPORT
Also check out these links for wildlife job postings:
envirocruit.com/en which has a wildlife section, marine conservation etc.
A Research Scientist, Aquatic Ecology at James Cook University, Townsville, QLD. Click here for more info
Senior Researcher – Freshwater Ecology, MDFRC – La Trobe Uni, $117-129k, Mildura – Applications close 31/3/13
NEW Koala Retrovirus Pathology Ph.D. Scholarship. University of Queensland. Closes 29.11.13
50 Partial Scholarships ($6,000) are now available to study IWC programs in integrated water management, which is available via distance learning. Get more info here.
This is a new section – please advise if you would like your courses to be included here
TAFE – Brisbane
- Certificate III in Animal Studies. Includes native wildlife rescue, care and rehabilitation
Program content includes rescuing animals and applying basic first aid, capture and restraint, providing nutritional requirements for various wildlife and monitoring animal health and wellbeing.
- Certificate II in general animal studies which covers the broader animal care industry including domestic animal care. For information on the Cert II see www.msit.edu.au/csu/factsheets.aspx?pid=ACM20110_418
- Bachelor of Science (Gold Coast campus) majoring in ecotourism
University of Queensland
- Associate Degree in Applied Science (Gatton campus) - the wilderness reserves and wildlife option covers the management of national or marine parks, conservation or recreation areas, or nature reserves.
Charles Sturt University
- Graduate Diploma of Ecotourism
- Graduate Certificate in Ecotourism
- Master of Ecotourism
Southern Cross University, Lismore
- Bachelor of Environmental Tourism Management
- Bachelor of Environmental Science (Coastal Management, Environmental Resource Management, Fisheries and Aquaculture Management) – includes topics relevant to natural area management and environmental education
- Certificate I in Tourism (Australian Indigenous Culture)
- Certificate III in Tourism (Guiding)
Visit their site to find out about the new Kakadu training, and free courses for Tasmanian residents
Tourism and International Cooperation for Development – University Course.
This intensive course trains university graduates and professions in subject areas related to international cooperation and development through tourism.
Course runs 19th August to 17 October 2013 in Washington, USA. This is definitely worthy of consideration. Click here for more info.
Volunteering can serve a useful purpose in raising awareness of our wildlife, and also give you valuable experience and something to add to your cv.
Conservation Volunteers Australia always has a variety of exciting projects to join in with, giving you the opportunity to do your bit for conservation while travelling through the country.
Many wildlife tourism operations such as Australia Zoo, David Fkeay Wildlife Park, Underwater World and others employ volunteer guides and offer training. Some natural history and conservation associations (e.g. Lamington Natural History Association) are also involved in nature interpretation, and welcome enthusiastic volunteers
Cleland Wildlife Park in the Adelaide Hills (South Australia) is seeking volunteers.