Jobs in Wildlife Tourism
Welcome to our jobs page
- Use this page to advertise relevant vacancies – either add a comment or let us know via the Contact Us page.
- Please visit the job-seekers page. to see details of motivated prospective employees seeking employment or work experience
- Use our job-seekers page to let prospective employers and hosts know about your interested, availability and background experience
- Show your prospective employer you understand the basics of responsible wildlife tourism by reading the links from wildlifetourism.org.au/experiencing-our-wildlife/policies/
- If interested in volunteering for wildlife research (which may or may not involve paying for your involvement), check out our wildlife tourism research network
- To view WTA member operations to see which you might be interested in asking about vacancies, go to our Wildlife Tours, Parks, Accommodation page
* * * *
Scrolling down this page you will find
- links to other pages that advertise relevant vacancies
- samples of currently available vacancies in wildlife tourism, ecotourism, wildlife conservation and related fields
- courses in wildlife and tourism related fields.
Select from the quick links below:
New South Wales
Various Job Sites
Courses and Training
The email newsletter Wildlife Extra regularly lists wildlife vacancies. Contact them at Wildlife Extra <firstname.lastname@example.org>
WILDLIFE JOB SEARCH: www.pherkad.com/jobs.html
This is a great search engine with regular eco tourism jobs: Ecotourism jobs
JOB OF THE MONTH
We don’t normally list jobs for overseas, however this job information was sent to us and decided to post it as it is quite an amazing opportunity.
Assistant Professor of Nature-Based Tourism, Sustainability and Recreation. At The University of Montana
Application review starts November 15, 2014. Download the full description of this job here
NEW Marketing, Events, Tourism & Administration Manager. New resort called ‘Rambutan’. Townsville.
NEW Tourism Officer. Diamantina Shire Council. Closes 25.11.14
NEW Veterinary Nurse. Australia Zoo. Closes 21.12.14
NEW Digital Marketing Co-ordinator. Gold Coast Tourism Corp. Closes 8.12.14
NEW Manager – Marketing Communications. Gold Coast Tourism Corp. Closes 1.12.14
DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENT AND RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
Job Centre: www.jobs.qld.gov.au
NEW Marketing Specialist in Tourism. Grand Aust Tours.
NEW Interpretation Project Officer. Parks & Wildlife Grouop. Hurstville. Closes 26.11.14
OFFICE OF ENVIRONMENT AND HERITAGE
Jobs Centre jobs.nsw.gov.au
NEW Manager Australian Wildlife Health Centre. Part Time. Healesville Sanctuary. Closes 11.12.15
NEW Tour Guide/Driver. Casual Wildlife Tours Australia.
DEPARTMENT OF SUSTAINABILITY AND ENVIRONMENT
Job Centre: www.careers.vic.gov.au
Current vacancies at Zoos in Victoria – see www.peoplestreme.net/zoosvictoria
NEW Information Officer. Tasmania Parks & Wildlife Service. Hastings Caves.
DEPARTMENT OF PRIMARY INDUSTRIES, PARKS, WATER AND ENVIRONMENT
DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENT AND NATURAL RESOURCES
Volunteering Opportunities: www.environment.sa.gov.au/Work_With_Us/Volunteering_opportunities
NEW Senior Operations Officer. Dept Parks & Wildlife. Kalgoorlie. Closes 8.12.14
NEW Lecturer Tourism & Events. Kimberley Training Institute. Closes 1.12.14
DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENT AND CONSERVATION
NEW Chief Executive Officer. Animal Management in rural & Remote Indigenous Communities. Full Time. Closes 28.11.14
NATURAL RESOURCES, ENVIRONMENT, THE ARTS AND SPORT
Also check out these links for wildlife job postings:
envirocruit.com/en which has a wildlife section, marine conservation etc.
Volunteering can serve a useful purpose in raising awareness of our wildlife, and also give you valuable experience and something to add to your cv.
Conservation Volunteers Australia always has a variety of exciting projects to join in with, giving you the opportunity to do your bit for conservation while travelling through the country.
Many wildlife tourism operations such as Australia Zoo, David Fkeay Wildlife Park, Underwater World and others employ volunteer guides and offer training. Some natural history and conservation associations (e.g. Lamington Natural History Association) are also involved in nature interpretation, and welcome enthusiastic volunteers
Monkey Rehabilitation Carer. 6 month contract. BARC. Tabanan, Bali.
Cleland Wildlife Park in the Adelaide Hills (South Australia) is seeking volunteers.
Port Vila, Vanuatu. Volunteer. Tourism Project Officer. 12 months. Tourism Project Officer information
The Tourism Research Entity at North West University, South Africa has a vacancy for a post doc. The position is for one year but can be extended up to 3 years. For further information contact Mrs Hanneri Borstlap at email@example.com
50 Partial Scholarships ($6,000) are now available to study IWC programs in integrated water management, which is available via distance learning. Get more info here.
This is a new section – please advise if you would like your courses to be included here
TAFE – Brisbane
- Certificate III in Animal Studies. Includes native wildlife rescue, care and rehabilitation
Program content includes rescuing animals and applying basic first aid, capture and restraint, providing nutritional requirements for various wildlife and monitoring animal health and wellbeing.
- Certificate II in general animal studies which covers the broader animal care industry including domestic animal care. For information on the Cert II see www.msit.edu.au/csu/factsheets.aspx?pid=ACM20110_418
- Bachelor of Science (Gold Coast campus) majoring in ecotourism
University of Queensland
- Associate Degree in Applied Science (Gatton campus) - the wilderness reserves and wildlife option covers the management of national or marine parks, conservation or recreation areas, or nature reserves.
Charles Sturt University
- Graduate Diploma of Ecotourism
- Graduate Certificate in Ecotourism
- Master of Ecotourism
Southern Cross University, Lismore
- Bachelor of Environmental Tourism Management
- Bachelor of Environmental Science (Coastal Management, Environmental Resource Management, Fisheries and Aquaculture Management) – includes topics relevant to natural area management and environmental education
- Certificate I in Tourism (Australian Indigenous Culture)
- Certificate III in Tourism (Guiding)
Visit their site to find out about the new Kakadu training, and free courses for Tasmanian residents
Tourism and International Cooperation for Development – University Course.
This intensive course trains university graduates and professions in subject areas related to international cooperation and development through tourism.
Course runs 19th August to 17 October 2013 in Washington, USA. This is definitely worthy of consideration. Click here for more info.
How to Become a Zookeeper
There is some great information here on this page from South Australia zoos: http://www.zoossa.com.au/home/jobs/how-do-i-become-a-zookeeper-